Table Of Contents (Click For Quick Navigation)
These days, watching sporting events in the comfort of your living room is like watching the games from a choice seat. Technology has advanced by leap and bounds to enhance sports coverage and gain wide viewership. Networks are making use of specialized cameras to record every bit of the action. Cutting-edge stump cameras or those with hawk-eye tech applications are some of the recent innovations that make for exciting viewing.
If you are a sports buff, you can be part of the action and take pics of your favorite athletes and their sleek moves. There are countless cameras advertised as the best for live action shots. However, only one brand of camera has a wide range of cameras for almost all types of photography needs including sports. Canon, to this day, holds that distinction.
The Ultimate Best Canon Camera for Sports
- Fastest shooting EOS-1D, capable of up to 14 fps full-resolution RAW or JPEG, and up to 16 fps in Live View mode with new Dual DIGIC 6+ Image Processors
- Achieves a maximum burst rate of up to 170 RAWs in continuous shooting at up to 16 fps, and 4K movies using CFast cards in the new CFast 2.0 slot
- Improved AF performance through 61-point, wide area AF system with 41 cross-type points, improved center point focusing sensitivity to -3 EV and compatibility down to f/8
- Accurate subject tracking for stills and video with new EOS Intelligent Tracking and Recognition AF with 360,000-pixel metering sensor
- 4K video (4096 x 2160) up to 60 fps (59.94), with an 8.8-Megapixel still frame grab in camera. Full 1080p HD capture up to 120 fps for slow motion
Any coach would prefer to draft a player with the makings of an MVP. In camera parlance, the first-round draft pick is none other than the EOS-1D X Mark II. The stat sheet is long and formidable. It features a 20.2MP full-frame CMOS sensor, Dual DIGIC 6+ processors, and a 61-Point High Density Reticular Auto Focus II with 41 cross-type points and a center point sensitive to -3 EV.
The uniform is made of durable magnesium-alloy body that has been designed for the active pro shooter. The speed is uncanny. It runs 16 frames 16 frames per second in live view plays and 14 fps when play is set for the viewfinder. The EOS-1D X Mark II has the capability to record up to 170 raw files in a single burst when the CFast 2.0 memory card is in use. This MVP supports DCI 4K-resolution video recording at up to 60 fps, along with Full HD 1080p shooting at 120 fps for slow-motion playback. Expect nothing less than an all-star performance.
The best Canon camera for sports is exactly what the photographers ordered to go for the gold in a major sporting event or just some tune-up shooting sprees in the nearby neighborhood park.
- The 20.2MP full-frame CMOS sensor and Dual DIGIC 6+ Image processors guarantees quality and accuracy.
- Vastly Improved base ISO dynamic range compared to previous Canon DSLRs
- Using the AF, the 4K frame grab translates into an effective 60 fps burst rate
- With 360,000-pixel RGB+IR metering sensor is
- Nearly unlimited Raw buffer with CFast cards
- Uncontested speed of 14fps continuous shooting and 16fps in live view
- Needs familiarization and experience to optimize AF settings
- iTR subject tracking is not as reliable and precise
- CF compatibility can hinder performance when using two cards
Another Worthy Contender
- 20.2 MP CMOS sensor and ISO 100-16000
- High speed continuous shooting up to 10.0 fps
- 65-point all cross-type AF system
- Stunning Full HD video with Custom Movie Servo AF (speed and sensitivity)
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF enables you to shoot video like a camcorder
The EOS 7D Mark II deserves the no. 2 spot in the starting five of the DSLR team. Its speed of 10 fps is adequate to qualify as the worthy contender to the best. Canon’s most advanced camera with an APS-C sensor hits 10 fps–add that to a 65-point autofocus system and it’s may even induce a little drool in sports photographers. While the speed is a clear selling point, the Canon EOS 7D Mark II looks to be well-rounded as a whole.
Sports shooters will drool at the features such as Intelligent Tracking and Recognition (iTR) for improved focus tracking, The Dual-Pixel autofocus feature is perfect for smooth, natural looking emphasis when shooting videos. The 7D EOS Mark II is not a full frame cam but it is as versatile as the best Canon camera for sports.
- Capable of producing high-resolution, well-detailed still imagery and full HD 1080p video with remarkable sensitivity and negligible noise
- The 65-point all cross-type autofocus system is ideal to provide wide frame coverage for acquiring focus accurately and swiftly
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF is a polished live view focusing technology that works resulting to precise autofocusing similar to how camcorders acquire focus
- The iTR struggles to accurately track fast moving subjects
- Soft video lacks detail
- No touch screen, Wi-Fi, and focus peaking AF with continuous shooting in live view
The Third Best Player
- Built-in Wi-Fi technology allows you to wirelessly transfer your images to social networking sites through CANON iMAGE GATEWAY
- Upload virtually anywhere on your iOS or Android device with free download of the Canon Camera Window app
- Capture breathtaking 1080p full HD video capture at 60fps
- 12.1 megapixel, 1/2.3-inch CMOS sensor and Canon DIGIC 6 image processor for improved low-light performance up to ISO 6400 and enhanced image quality
- Powerful 20x optical zoom and 25mm wide-angle lens with Optical Image Stabilizer
The pocketable compact PowerShot SX280 HS is a 20x superzoom with a 12MP CMOS sensor, 25-500mm equivalent image-stabilized lens and a 3 inch 460k dot screen. It offers built in Wi-Fi connectivity and GPS. It can’t be overlooked as a valuable asset in a team of superstars. This polycarbonate bodied player can deliver some sleek moves when called into action.
The PowerShot SX280 HS is one of the best compact superzooms photographers on the planet have ever seen. it packs a horde of features including Wi-Fi, GPS, and 1080p60 video capture among others. The 20x zoom lens is surprisingly sharp and the speed is a prominent trait of this compacted gear.
You will be amazed at the video mode which is a real show-stopper. You can switch between 30 or 60fps frame rates that renders the highest picture quality never seen in a small-sized shooter. Even the details are unusually sharp and precise.
It’s not the perfect camera but not a run-of-the-mill either. Canon intended this pocket ultra-zoom camera to be a dependable travel shooting companion. You wouldn’t be disappointed as the GPS and Wi-Fi are fantastic inclusions. You know exactly where you are when you take pictures, upload in your smartphone and immediately post in social media for your friends and fans to see. As a photographer, the SX280 HS should be one of the needful cameras in your list.
- Ideal travel companion yet a very speedy performer for action moves
- Sharp lens and lengthier 20x zoom range
- Favorable GPS and Wi-Fi plus a 1080p60 video capture
- Great handling because of the finger rail grip
- The noise control is better than the average noise
- Narrow aperture and not the sharpest LCD
- Smeared, if not blurred details at high ISOs
- The center AF functions only in manual modes
- The positon of the one touch video stop/start button is not ideal
Another Premium Camera Option
- This Camera Bundle Kit comes complete with all manufacturer supplied accessories with a 1-year warranty and includes:
- The EOS Rebel T6 DSLR Camera from Canon is an APS-C format digital SLR camera with an 18MP CMOS sensor and the DIGIC 5 image processor. With 14-bit Analog/Digital conversion, an ISO range from 100-12800 (expandable to 25600), and Multi Shot Noise Reduction, it offers sharp details, accurate colors and low-noise imaging in both bright and low-light shooting situations. The Rebel T6 can continuously shoot up to 5 fps.
- Canon 18-55mm II Lens - a standard zoom compatible with Canon APS-C format cameras. It features a focal length range of 18-55mm which is equivalent to 29-88mm in the 35mm format
- 2 x SanDisk 32GB SDHC Memory Cards + Canon Camera Case + Flash Light + 3pc Filter Kit + Extra Battery Pack + AC/DC Car & Home Charger + High Speed USB Card Reader + 50" Camera Tripod
- Commander 0.43x Auxiliary Wideangle Lens - it conveniently mounts to the front of your fixed or zoom lens, and allows you to capture a wider field of view, Commander 2.2x Auxiliary Telephoto Lens - brings you twice as close to the action. Perfect for long-distance photo situations such as sporting events
The EOS Rebel is a team-player and very light on the budget DSLR. It is equipped with an 18MP APS-C-size sensor and uses Canon’s DIGIC 4+ image processor. The ISO range is 100-6400 but expandable to 12800. The 3p fps burst shooting will score respectable points
The EOS Rebel T6 is also supplied with a 3-inch, 920,000-dot LCD and an optical viewfinder. The T6 features a host of scene modes, such as the Scene Intelligent Auto mode plus several creative filters. Full HD can be captured at 30p or 24p. The Rebel T6 also boasts of a Wi-Fi with NFC for easy sharing via Canon’s Camera Connect application.
- The EOS Rebel T6 is for a beginning photographer, JPEG shooters and budget conscious enthusiasts
- It is lightweight and easy to use DSLR that produces good image quality
- Well-functioning Wi-Fi for quick photo sharing
- The Cons
- The view shooting experience may be frustrating at times
- Burst shooting is slow burst shooting with very limited raw buffer
- Autofocus performance is at the mediocre range
- Only basic movie capture features
Our Final Best Bet
The EOS-1D X DSLR Camera is designed with the pro shooter. It can withstand the demands of daily grind with its tough magnesium alloy body, large 3.2″ LCD and clever too with the Intelligent Viewfinder. A saline feature is the 18.1MP CMOS sensor. This cam can assume a starting role If you are looking for a tough honcho that can shoot action scenes.
The large pixel size delivers outstanding still images and 1920 x 1080 video. Canon did pretty well with the smart layout of the controls. You won’t any action because of the Dual CF while the Gigabit Ethernet terminal and the WFT-E6A Wireless File Transmitter. Awesome file sharing on the fly with its efficient GPS connection. This rig is made of magnesium alloy and the body is dust and weather resistant. Highly noticeable is the shutter durability of up to 14 fps for up to 400,000 cycles – allowing you to do your thing and just click away.
- Full frame image sensor
- Impressive 14fps burst capability and 61point autofocus system
- Produce excellent images at very high ISO settings
- Built like a tank
- Dual CF card slots and plenty of controls
- Ideal for 1080p video capture
- Performs remarkably in low light situations
- Excellent at capturing sleek action moves at high speed
- Durable and tough for extreme photo challenges – indoor & outdoor
- Hefty price
- No built-in flash and headphone jack
- Uncompressed HDMI video output is not possible
- Switching between still and video live view mode is burdensome
- The movie record button positioned on the body is not easily recognizable
Buying Information for Sports Cameras
Sports cameras need to have certain characteristics to capture exciting action and game winning moves. The sporting event may be indoor or outdoor but photographers need the perfect gear to function exceptionally well in both settings to get that shooting advantage.
- A sports camera needs to be quick and responsive
To keep up pace with the minute-by-minute action, look for a camera with remarkable speed, a fast bursting speed. A camera with a speed of 5 frames per second is decent but the one that runs at 10 frames per second is exceedingly adept to meet the sporting challenge. Do not scrimp on memory cards as the cheap ones are disappointing. They can in fact slow your camera’s performance.
- A sports camera needs to have excellent zooming prowess
Zooming is important for sports photography. You need a camera with exceptional zooming qualities whether you are seated on a ringside seat or in the middle of the bleacher section. Action takes place in just about any distance from where you are. Super zoom cameras work great shooting your favorite athletes and your kids running their track and field race. However, if you have enough spare in your wallet, choose a DLSR with a 70-300mm lens for that sporting advantage.
- A sports camera needs to adapt to any lighting condition
Sporting events are held inside arenas, out in the field or a combination of both like in tennis matches or the Superbowl. Action scenes happen under the glare of powerful LED lights or the piercing sunlight. The ideal sports camera should be equipped with the appropriate lens to overcome any light conditions that would affect the quality of the pictures.
Among the types of photography, the skill in sports photography is something you learn on the court. When the buzzer sounds to start the game, you can’t always anticipate any plays. It’s important that for you to be constantly watching for it and ready to welcome the unexpected.
The best Canon camera for sports and the other members of Canon’s illustrious team have all the qualities that make for truly great sports photographs. You can capture the emotion, skills, and the highlight moves of your favorite athletes including your kids. The challenge that faces photographers doing sports photography can be overcome by teamwork and chemistry with a good camera gear. These Canon cameras and its lenses, if complemented with the right techniques, perfect timing and angles will definitely bring the desired results.
Just like the outstanding athletes, sports photographers require practice, training and discipline to bring them to A-1 status. But more than the yearning to capture the best sporting action, you should be enjoying while shooting them. Do not snuff the fun out of this entertaining activity. Over time you can be adept like the pros. Watch as they take the shots and enjoy the games simultaneously.