Digital single lens reflex cameras are as good as they get. These highly versatile cameras take the optics and mechanisms of traditional single lens reflex cameras and combine it with digital technology to provide users superior imaging and outstanding flexibility. Often the camera of choice for professional photographers, DSLR cameras have also found their place in the hands of budding amateurs who want to hone their photography skills.
These days, DSLR cameras can be found almost anywhere. With the demand for these high tech devices on the rise, brands and manufacturers have stepped up to the plate by releasing model after model to satisfy eager consumers. Now, if you’re in the market for the best option for you, take a peek at our list of DSLR camera reviews to help narrow down your options.
The Ultimate DSLR Camera on the List
|Canon EOS Rebel T6 Digital SLR Camera Kit with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens (Black)||$449.00||Buy On Amazon|
Canon is a celebrated camera brand hailing from Japan. The household name has been around for almost 80 years, and has gained a strong following among consumers because of its top notch cameras and other imaging devices. Canon dabbles in all fields of photography, offering something for virtually any type of photographer – from highly versatile point-and-shoots to durable and powerful DSLRs.
In the DSLR arena, their best release to date is the Canon EOS Rebel T6 Digital SLR Camera. This beauty of a camera beast boasts an 18.0 megapixel CMOS sensor with a DIGIC 4+ image processor. This allows the device to take crystal clear images with minimal to no distortion or noise. The sensor also makes it possible for the camera to capture 1080p full HD videos, perfect for bloggers and budding videographers.
If you’re not too keen on getting fancy with manual controls, don’t sweat it. This camera comes ready with Scene Intelligent Auto mode that automatically adjusts your settings to suit the scene effortlessly. This means you can capture beautiful pictures every time, sans the tedious and time consuming process of manual adjustments.
To wrap up this DSLR camera review, we’d also like to highlight the camera’s impressive 9 point AF-system. Able to sustain its focus on up to 9 different points of interest, the Canon EOS Rebel T6 is sure to give you superb images under any condition.
Pros of the Canon EOS Rebel T6
- Powerful 18.0 megapixel high sensitivity sensor for superb image quality.
- 9 point AF-system guarantees that the camera will lock-on your subject even during movement.
- 1080p full HD video capture capacity adds great versatility and functionality to your camera.
- Scene Intelligent Auto Mode eliminates the tedious process of manual adjustments, transforming the camera into a point-and-shoot.
- Compatible with a wide array of accessories and attachments, increasing the camera’s flexibility.
- Robust and durable build guaranteed to last years of daily use.
Cons of the Canon Rebel T6
- A bit on the pricey side of the spectrum.
- Heavy! Up to 3 times the weight of other DSLR cameras.
The Second Best DSLR Camera
|Nikon D3400 DSLR Camera with AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR and AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm...||$596.95||Buy On Amazon|
When it comes to DSLR camera reviews, you can expect two brands to constantly battle it out for the top spot. The first brand is Canon, and a close competitor is Nikon. This brand also comes from Japan, and has enjoyed almost a hundred years in the market as one of the premier brands for imaging devices. Much like Canon, Nikon has also come up with countless cameras that cater to different photographers, but their pride remains to be their DSLRs.
For this list, we’ve chosen the Nikon D3400 DSLR camera as their top release. This powerful DSLR camera comes equipped with a state of the art 24.4 megapixel DX-format CMOS sensor and an EXPEED 4 image processor, making it superior to all other options on this list in terms of image quality and clarity.
To ease the process of file management and transfers, the D3400 features high speed Snap Bridge Bluetooth Connectivity. This allows users to manage files wirelessly and transfer from device to device with ease.
Some other features to catch your attention include 1080p full HD video capture, 5 frames per second continuous image capture, superior autofocus system, and complete manual controls, this camera can serve either as your handy professional camera or your ultimate point-and-shoot for family and personal use.
Pros of the Nikon D3400 DSLR Camera
- Astounding 24.4 megapixel DX-format CMOS sensor and EXPEED 4 image processor capture superior quality images in full, crisp detail.
- Snap Dragon connectivity is fast, reliable, and stable, perfect for managing files and transferring photos from device to device.
- 1080p full HD video capture is an industry standard that this device doesn’t lag behind on.
- 5 FPS continuous image capture makes it easy to snap photos of moving targets.
- Autofocus eliminates the tedious task of manually adjusting lenses.
- Lightweight and compact compared to other cameras commonly featured on DSLR camera reviews
Cons of the Nikon D3400 DSLR
- Costly, not for those with tight budgets.
- Limited ISO range.
Our Third DSLR Camera Choice
|Sony Alpha DSLRA350 14.2MP Digital SLR Camera with Super SteadyShot Image Stabilization (Body Only)||No new offers available||Buy On Amazon|
Back in the day, Sony was exclusively popular for its audio and entertainment devices. Visit any household, and you’d likely find an entertainment system with nothing but Sony devices. These days however, the multi-billion dollar multinational company is making leaps and bounds in the photography industry. With countless camera releases, the brand has become one of the front runners, sometimes even overtaking the juggernauts that are Canon and Nikon.
Their entry for our list of DSLR camera reviews is the Sonly Alpha DSLR A350 Digital SLR Camera. This camera has become Sony’s standard of excellence, featuring countless superb qualities that put it close to the top of any list.
It features a powerful 14.2 megapixel high sensitivity CMOS sensor that promises incredible detail. Its super quick AF response allows you to use the camera as a point-and-shoot, locking in on subjects with ease and speed superior to other cameras on the list.
With an expanded ISO sensitivity, the camera can take clear images even in the lowest of light settings, making it perfect for night time photography or indoor shoots. It also boasts a super steadyshot in-camera image stabilizer that guarantees minimal noise and distortion despite movement.
Finally, the entire camera is built to high standards, boasting superior durability with a completely dust-proof build. This means you can enjoy years of long and fruitful use without worrying about any damages to your device.
Pros of the Sony Alpha A350
- 14.2 megpaixel high sensitivity CMOS sensor is powerful, able to capture superior detail.
- Scene selection mode offers a number of different presets you can choose form to eliminate the tedious task of manual adjustments.
- Creative style settings add a touch of personality to each image for superior customization and quality.
- Battery power indicator is intuitive, shown in small percentage increments so you know exactly where you stand.
Cons of the Sony Alpha A350
- No Wi-fi or Bluetooth connectivity.
- User interface can be a little too complicated for amateur users.
Number Four on Our List of DSLR Cameras
|Pentax K-5 16.3 MP Digital SLR with 3-Inch LCD (Black Body Only)||$799.99||Buy On Amazon|
Yet another popular Japanese brand in the camera industry is Pentax. Established close to a hundred years ago, this camera brand is often overshadowed by its big name competitors. Regardless, it does offer some pretty sweet deals to anyone who’s willing to give their products a shot. The brand is well known for its affordable point-and-shoots, but it also has some worthy DSLR cameras available on the market as well.
The Pentax K-5 Digital SLR is the best of the best from this brand, although it’s not often that you’ll find it featured in DSLR camera reviews. The device is fitted with a 16.3 megapixel for crystal clear images that proudly boast minimal noise. Continuous image capture pushes 7 FPS, making it ideal for moving targets that make it difficult to get the perfect single shot.
When it comes to video capture, the device can provide excellent quality 1080p full HD video capabilities with 25 FPS for smooth and hitch-free transitions. It also comes fitted with a wide 3 inch LCD display so you won’t have to guess how good your pictures are.
Finally, this DSLR camera leaves competitors in the dust with a superb 11 point AF-system – promising to capture moving targets in all their detailed glory, sans all the effort.
Pros of the Pentax K-5 DSLR
- 16.3 megapixel CMOS sensor isn’t the highest rated, but it does deliver in terms of image clarity.
- 1080p full HD video capture at 25 frames per second promises smooth, seamless videos perfect for bloggers and budding videographers.
- Fully weather proof body guarantees years of long, problem-free use.
- Whopping 11 point AF system leaves other DSLR cameras in the dust.
Cons of the Pentax K-5 DSLR
- The most expensive camera on this list of DSLR camera reviews – the K-5 isn’t a fit for those with a tight budget.
- No Wi-Fi or Bluetooth connectivity limits file management options.
The Final Pick for the Best DSLR Camera
|Olympus Evolt E520 10MP Digital SLR Camera with Image Stabilization w/ 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 Zuiko Lens||from $799.99||Buy On Amazon|
While not as popular as Nikon, Canon, or Sony, Olympus has made a name for itself in the photography industry. This brand has developed quite a substantial following among photography enthusiasts, offering unique cameras that cater to many different types of users. Their best DSLR camera to date is the Evolt E520 DSLR camera – a lightweight, and affordable alternative for buyers on a budget.
The Evolt 520 comes with an industry-standard 10 megapixel CMOS sensor, a satisfying image stabilization feature, face detection, shadow adjustment technology, and perfect shot preview – all incorporated into the device to ease the process of manual adjustments.
It’s cheap, lightweight, and filled to the brim with just the right features to get you started on using a DSLR camera. Now, while it isn’t the most feature-rich option on the market, it caters to a unique group of buyers who want a DSLR camera that functions superiorly with just the bare minimum.
Pros of the Olympus Evolt E520 Digital SLR Camera
- Lightweight and compact, perfect for amateur photographers or even leisure photographers who just want high quality images for personal use.
- All the auto-adjustment features make the camera double as a reliable point-and-shoot.
- Image clarity and quality are superb, making it a perfect choice for budding photographers and amateurs.
- Highly affordable – perfect for buyers who don’t have much to spare but still want a top of the line camera.
Cons of the Olympus Evolt E520
- No Bluetooth or WiFi connectivity.
- Not really the best choice if you’re looking for a professional-grade DSLR camera.
A Buyer’s Guide to Choosing the Best DSLR Camera
Lots of different DSLR cameras are available on the market – so how can you be sure which one’s right for you? Here, we weigh some of the most important considerations to help you secure the best device for your needs and preferences.
- Functionality – The main difference between a point-and-shoot and a DSLR camera is functionality. DSLRs are often equipped with more features that make them more versatile and flexible to adapt to different shooting conditions. Depending on what you’re looking for, you may want to consider a camera that has the specific features you need.
For instance, higher end models come equipped with a greater number of features, while lower end choice only provide you the bare minimum.
- Build – A DSLR camera is an investment. So unless you want your camera to break down too soon, it would be wise to choose a device that offers superior durability. It also pays to choose a camera that won’t be too difficult or too heavy to use. This helps guarantee that you won’t end up feeling too tired after a whole day of shooting.
- Accessories and Attachments – The more accessories you can buy for your camera, the more versatile it becomes. Some cameras don’t have a lot of available accessories on the market, and this ultimately affects the satisfaction and usage you can get out of them.
More popular brands offer greater options in terms of accessories and attachments, so if you’re looking to make investments, be sure to consider manufacturers that have a wider selection.
Choosing the best DSLR camera doesn’t have to be tough. All you need to do is understand your options and determine what you want out of your new purchase.
Be sure to check out our suggestions and find the best DSLR camera for you. Work your way to professional status and enjoy beautiful pictures every time with these top notch picks.