Table Of Contents (Click For Quick Navigation)
- 1 The Alaska Life ThrillPro Selfie Stick – The Best GoPro Pole
- 2 The GoPro 3-Way Official Mount Coming In Second Place
- 3 The Sandmarc Metal Edition Third On Our List Of The Best GoPro Poles
- 4 The Zhiyun Crane-M The Fourth Best GoPro Pole on the Market
- 5 The GoPole GPE-10 EVO Last on Our List of the Best Poles for GoPros
Whether you’re a travel blogger hoping to step up your vlogs or a travel enthusiast who simply wants to cement those memories of a foreign land, there’s a lot to gain out of using a GoPro action camera. These devices are capable of capturing high-quality 4K video in a variety of situations and settings that many point-and-shoots can’t handle.
Another reason why these action cameras have become so popular among travelers and bloggers is because they’re compact enough to be used hands-free. The humble addition of a GoPro pole can allow users to capture video and images without having to hold on to the device. Plus, using a GoPro pole means you can cover more scenery in a single shot, as these accessories can hold your action camera much farther away than your arm is likely to reach.
These days, GoPro poles have opened up their own niche in the market. So if you’re in search of a pole that suits your needs and preferences, you might find the process of making a choice a bit vexing considering the sheer number of options.
Not quite sure which of the best GoPro poles would give you the best value for your money’s worth? We’ve done the research and tested the best of the best to come up with a comprehensive guide on the 5 ultimate best GoPro poles to help narrow your options and lead you to a soild choice.
The Alaska Life ThrillPro Selfie Stick – The Best GoPro Pole
Based on consumer reviews and rigorous product testing, the Alaska Life ThrillPro Selfie Stick is the ultimate choice on our list of the best GoPro poles. This pole is advertised as one of the most rugged options on the market, perfect for users who want a secure companion that won’t give up on them during high action activities.
The ThrillPro is made from premium metal and stainless steel, making it resilient against wear, tear, and damage. The entire product is waterproof and weatherproof, so you can bring it along to any destination without worrying about whether or not it can survive the onslaught. In case of damaged parts, customer service can be a breeze to communicate with, with lots of buyers giving high praise to the manufacturer for speedy shipment of spare and replacement parts for damages.
Along the handle is a padded foam that makes the ThrillPro easy to grasp. The foam material naturally wicks away sweat and moisture, so you can feel confident using your ThrillPro even underwater and during rain.
Versatility is another thing that the ThrillPro has going for it. The universal mount can accommodate not only GoPros, but a variety of smartphones, and even DSLR cameras so you can use it for a variety of devices, eliminating the need to carry around a variety of mounts and tripods to use with different gadgets. If you do carry around a separate tripod, the ThrillPro can be easily attached to it via a thread that fits a number of different tripod models. This gives it an extra facet of functionality, allowing the ThrillPro to function as a self-standing monopod.
When collapsed, the ThrillPro is just about 7 inches long, making it the ideal size to carry around in hand or in a small bag. The collapsed length is also ideal for tight, close up shots for users who want to be able to record some dialogue, such as bloggers who want to insert some talk between footage of sights and sounds. Fully extending the pole can bring it to about 34 inches long, giving you a greater reach, and allowing users to capture more scenery with ease and convenience.
The Alaska Life ThrillPro Selfie Stick comes bundled with a wrist cable, a carabiner, and the removable universal mount. It’s completely free of electronic parts, making it extra durable for users who want a sound investment that won’t give up on them just months after making a purchase.
All in all, the Alaska Life ThrillPro Selfie Stick is definitely a smart buy, especially for those who want nothing short of the best GoPro pole on the market.
Pros of the Alaska Life ThrillPro Selfie Stick
- Ultra durable design, ideal for users who really like to get into high action travel situations. The design was built for outdoor exploration, able to take on water and different weather conditions without giving up on its user.
- Completely free of electronic parts, so you can use it in confidence knowing there’s nothing for you to be careful of breaking.
- Extends and collapses to the idea length for optimal use and storage.
- Comes with a number of accessories that extend the functionality of the device.
- Compatible with more than just GoPros, able to accommodate even smartphones, point-and-shoots, and DSLR cameras.
- A bottom thread makes the tripod compatible with a number of different tripod models, turning it into a self-standing monopod.
- Fast and reliable customer service means you don’t have to worry about unanswered concerns.
Cons of the Alaska Life ThrillPro Selfie Stick
- Some users would have preferred a shorter collapsed length.
- Android phones with larger screens may not fit the mount.
The GoPro 3-Way Official Mount Coming In Second Place
Of course, with the market for GoPro poles expanding at an alarming rate, and with demand for these action camera accessories at an all time high, it’s only wise that the brand behind the viral device take part in the hype. With that, the GoPro brand itself has released its own take of the pole, and they didn’t disappoint.
The GoPro 3-Way Official Mount is the second best choice on our list of the best GoPro poles, posing as a close contender for the Alaska Life ThrillPro Selfie Stick. This pole that comes from the GoPro brand itself features a 3-way design, allowing users to leverage the pole in a variety of ways that can suit a number of different situations.
Designed specifically for GoPros, this exclusive selfie stick is compatible only with GoPro action cameras. The accessory is made from a lightweight, heavy duty, high density plastic that’s completely water and weather proof. This makes it extra durable against wear, tear, and damage, able to take on high falls and high impact trauma without sustaining any damage.
The 3-Way pole can be used in three different configurations – as a camera handle, a tripod, or an extendable selfie stick arm. The handle of the device can be removed and directly attached to your GoPro to be used as a short camera grip, ideal for tight, close-up shots. Inside the handle is a tripod attachment that can be attached to the grip to turn the device into a self-standing tripod. Attaching the grip to the rest of the arm turns it into a 20 inch arm with two elbows for added versatility and functionality. When collapsed, the entire accessory measures just 7.5 inches, perfect for keeping in tote or having in hand for when you’ll need it.
What buyers love about the GoPro 3-Way Official Mount is that it can be configured to achieve a variety of different video capture styles. The pole can be used to capture POV footage, follow-cam, and static tripod shots so users can come up with a variety of different outcomes that suit their specific aesthetic and style. This also eliminates the need to purchase other camera accessories and attachments that could weigh you down during your travels.
When it comes right down to it, the GoPro brand knew what they were doing when they designed the GoPro 3-Way Official Mount. It’s versatile, easy to use, compact, and durable, which is basically what buyers look for. So there really is no wondering how this premium product made its way to this list of the best GoPro poles.
Pros of the GoPro 3-Way Official Mount
- Versatile design makes it ideal for users who want to achieve a variety of capture styles. It’s especially popular with vloggers and internet personalities who leverage different footage styles to add variety to their posts.
- Easy to use, with all the components of the pole convenient and simple to take apart and put together for hassle-free use even when you’re on the go.
- Collapses to just 7.5 inches, making it the perfect travel companion for backpack travelers.
- Lightweight and durable, lasting many years of reliable use even with daily use.
- Handle designed for high action activities and sports, allowing a firm grasp in a variety of situations despite moisture and sweat.
Cons of the GoPro 3-Way Official Mount
- Doesn’t extend as far as other GoPro poles on the market.
- The hinges on the arm can be difficult to extend.
- Only compatible with GoPro cameras.
The Sandmarc Metal Edition Third On Our List Of The Best GoPro Poles
Lots of different third party brands have come out into the market to cater to the demand for GoPro and action camera accessories. One of the most prominent third party brands available is Sandmarc. Offering a wide variety of different action camera and GoPro accessories, the brand is a reliable and wallet friendly option for those who want quality accessories without spending beyond their budget.
So there’s no wondering why the Sandmarc Pole Metal Edition made its way to our list of the best GoPro poles on the market. This GoPro accessory is designed with a variety of features that make it both a practical and functional choice for people who want something that can truly serve the purpose of an all around travel companion.
The Sandmac Pole Metal Edition features an industrial CNC aluminum build. This waterproof aluminum material is lightweight and durable, preventing the formation of rust and making the pole easy to carry around on the go. The device also features a rubber grip that prevents the device from slipping out of users’ hands in the presence of moisture.
Along the shaft closer to the handle, users can install a remote mount which is designed to fit all the different models of GoPro remote controls. This gives the pole an added facet of convenience, allowing users to keep all their footage necessities in one, easy to carry combination.
In terms of length, the Sandmarc Pole Metal Edition can collapse as short as 15 inches, and extend as long as 50 inches. Given that the collapsed length isn’t as short as others on our list of the best GoPro poles, the Sandmarc Pole does make up for it by extending much farther than both of the previously mentioned GoPro poles. This makes it ideal for capturing picturesque footage of mountain ranges, open waters, and other vast landscapes that can be difficult to encapsulate with a short reach.
Finally, the Sandmcar Pole Metal Edition was made with such confidence that each purchase comes with a lifetime guarantee. The manufacturers are sure of the device’s durability and efficiency, thus offering buyers the option to have free replacements should they encounter any problems with their Sandmarc GoPro pole. Now, if you’re looking for a sound purchase that won’t put your money to shame, then the Sandmarc definitely makes the promises to give you confidence in your spending.
Pros of the Sandmarc Pole Metal Edition
- Extends up to 50 inches, giving users a much wider reach to capture a number of different landscapes in their full glory.
- Made from high quality aluminum that’s both durable and lightweight, promising to give your pole extended life and functionality even with rigorous daily use, wear, and tear.
- Waterproof and weatherproof, ideal for users who expect to visit lots of outdoor tourist spots.
- Remote control mount adds a facet of convenience to the accessory, perfect for users who want to be able to have all their GoPro essentials in one place.
- Lifetime warranty in combination with responsive customer service makes it easy to get your complaints and concerns heard.
Cons of the Sandmarc Pole Metal Edition
- The pole’s collapsed length can still be pretty lengthy at 15 inches, making it difficult for some backpackers to keep in tote.
- The GoPro mount can become loose after some time, requiring the need to purchase replacement washers.
The Zhiyun Crane-M The Fourth Best GoPro Pole on the Market
If you’ve got a little more to spend, then there are lots of GoPro poles that offer much greater functionality. These sophisticated, electronic poles have their own video capture support features all together, so you can enjoy greater convenience and better output with each use.
In our opinion, the Zhiyun Crane-M 3 Axis Brushless Handheld Gimbal is by far one of the best GoPro poles for those seeking something a little more advanced. This electronic pole comes with a unique set of features that the other poles on the list don’t provide, but it does come with a much heftier price tag. So it really is a fitting choice for those who have more to spare, or those who are full time bloggers, travelers, or videographers.
The first thing that sets the Zhiyun Crane-M 3 Axis Brushless Handheld Gimbal apart from others on this list is the fact that it’s the only electronic GoPro pole. The device runs on 26500 lithium batteries, allowing a running time of up to 12 hours depending on usage. Inside the device are three 32-bit MCUs that control the Crane-M, allowing it to more precisely, accurately, and almost instantly for smooth and seamless video capture.
The mount moves a complete 360°, allowing users to capture video from a variety of angles without having to reposition the pole. The mounting system requires zero tools and accessories for attaching your camera, so you can switch between your GoPro and a variety of other cameras and imaging devices in a breeze. That said, the Zhiyun Crane-M 3 Axis Brushless Handheld Gimbal can accommodate a number of different camera models including the GoPro, a variety of point-and-shoot cameras, and even DSLRs.
To control the Crane-M, the device can be synced with a dedicated mobile application that gives the user an easy, handheld remote from the comfort of their smartphone. The device can also be connected to your phone via Bluetooth in the absence of an internet connection, which is essential for those who find themselves travelling to remote areas with poor signal.
While the Zhiyun Crane-M 3 Axis Brushless Handheld Gimbal doesn’t extend or collapse the same way the other GoPro poles on the list do, it caters to a completely different market. Ultimately, the Zhiyun Crane-M is the ideal pick for users who want tight shots of themselves with hands-free operation.
Pros of the Zhiyun Crane-M 3 Axis Brushless Handheld Gimbal
- Electronic operation makes it a great choice for those who want added functionality and versatility out of their GoPro pole.
- Turns a complete 360° so users don’t have to keep repositioning the device to cover different angles and points of view.
- Compact body ideal for travelers and bloggers who don’t want a lot of baggage.
- Convenient application and Bluetooth connectivity allows users to control the pole from their smartphone device, even without internet connectivity.
- Compatible with a variety of devices, so you won’t need to carry around several other tripods or monopods during your travels.
Cons of the Zhiyun Crane-M 3 Axis Brushless Handheld Gimbal
- Falls along the higher end of the price spectrum, costing up to 20 times that of non-electronic GoPro poles. So if you’re working on a tight budget, it may not be the right one for you.
- Doesn’t extend too far, limiting your reach.
- Not suitable for underwater use, or for filming in snow or rain, which is what action travelers often look for in their pole.
The GoPole GPE-10 EVO Last on Our List of the Best Poles for GoPros
The fifth and last entry on our list of the best GoPro poles is none other than the GoPole GPE-10 EVO Floating Extension Pole. This GoPro pole packs a lot of features, great build and quality, all within a reasonable price range perfect for buyers who don’t want to end up spending too much on their pole of choice. This makes the GoPole a great choice for those who aren’t completely invested in their use of their GoPro, and simply want a pole that makes capturing videos and images easier and more convenient.
The GoPro pole is a fairly simple design that was developed with the outdoors in mind. Because lots of GoPro enthusiasts like submerging their action cameras or taking them out to rough, wild explorations and travels, the GPE-10 EVO was designed with minimal parts and complications. Ultimately, it features a durable plastic body and a rubber material that covers the handle. It collapses to 14 inches, and extends up to 24 inches for maximum reach.
The device doesn’t use any adapters, allowing users to connect their GoPro directly to the pole for easy, instant use. This also eliminates the chances of lost or broken parts that could render the pole useless all together. In terms of aesthetics, the GPE-10 EVO definitely looks a little different from the rest of the options on the list.
For starters, the entire shaft is see-through, which gives the accessory the ability to float. This is particularly ideal for divers and swimmers who want to be able to use their GoPro underwater. In case the user accidentally loses their grip on the pole, it bobs to the surface of the water for easy retrieval.
The pole also features a remote control mount that you can use to keep your GoPro camera remote control secured to. This makes it easier to keep track of all your accessories so you don’t have to worry about misplacing your GoPro essentials. Finally, the GPE-10 EVO features a ¼”-20 threaded insert that’s compatible with a variety of tripod accessories. This can turn your GoPro pole into a stand-alone monopod, ideal if you’re shooting footage solo and need your GoPro to be stable for static captures.
Pros of the GoPole GPE-10 EVO Floating Extension Pole
- Designed with the great outdoors in mind, the GoPole GPE-10 EVO Floating Extension Pole is perfect for rugged travelers who intend togo on extreme adventures with their GoPro and pole.
- Floats to water surface for easy retrieval in case you accidentally let go of your device while submerged.
- Compatible with a variety of tripod models for easy conversion to a stand-alone monopod.
- Comes with a remote control mount to keep your GoPro remote control within reach whenever you need it.
- Made from durable and lightweight materials that guarantee long years of use no matter how much wear and tear you put it through.
- The accessory is completely stripped down of all the fancy bells and whistles that make other GoPro poles flimsy and breakable. Enjoy the benefits of having a no-nonsense accessory that you can rely on through all your adventures.
- Insanely affordable, ideal for budget buyers who want a reliable companion without having to spend too much.
Cons of the GoPole GPE-10 EVO Floating Extension Pole
- Collapsed and extended length are both subpar. The shortest length can be too long to carry easily in a bag, and the longest extension length may be too short for some users.
- The hinge connecting the GoPro to the pole can be stubborn at best, difficult to manipulate and prone to breakage with too much force.
A Comprehensive Guide on Choosing the Best GoPro Pole
You would think that there shouldn’t be much to consider if you’re buying something as simple as a GoPro pole. After all, aren’t they just glorified selfie sticks? Well, while that might seem like the case, there are actually a number of different characteristics and features that could differ from pole to pole, and these discrepancies – although sometimes minute – can greatly affect the satisfaction you experience with your chosen pole.
If you’re on the market in search of the best GoPro poles, you might find yourself having a hard time choosing given all the different options available. Nonetheless, there are some things you can keep in mind to help make the purchase process a little easier.
Take note of these major considerations you should make when choosing a GoPro pole and find yourself a sound selection that truly meets your needs and standards.
- Electronic vs. Manual – The market for GoPro poles has extended so greatly that buyers now have the option to choose between manual and electronic poles. From the names themselves, it’s easy to see how these two categories of GoPro poles differ from one another.
The manual poles require the user to perform all the facets of GoPro handling – from mounting, to turning the device on, to holding and turning the pole so as to capture footage of angles and points of view that the user wants to record. These are always much cheaper, because they really just work as an extension for your arm, allowing you to hold your action camera at a greater distance so you can achieve your desired videography style.
Electronic poles offer much more functionality than manual poles. They can turn your GoPro on and off, pan automatically and follow subjects (like the user) by way of face detection, and move the mount hands-free to capture other parts of the scenery. These often come with their own dedicated remote control, or a mobile app that users can download to get full control of their device. Now, while electronic GoPro poles might seem more feature-rich (and they are) they’re also much more expensive, costing upwards of a hundreds of dollars for a single unit.
- Durability – One of the main considerations people make when choosing GoPro poles is the durability of the accessory. After all, no one wants to use a flimsy pole to handle hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of expensive electronic devices.
Durability is particularly important if you want to take your GoPro pole to adventures and explorations that require you to move through dangerous terrain. Of course, there’s no guarantee that you won’t ever drop your pole, so using one that’s particularly robust against the damage of these instances will help guarantee longer, problem-free use.
- Weather and Water Proof – Another common feature you’ll find with GoPro poles is that they’re often built to be weather and water proof. As GoPro cameras themselves are designed to be used in a variety of environments and weather conditions, those who use them often feel confident bringing them along to these extreme adventure experiences.
That said, it’s expected that the poles that GoPros are mounted on are also prepared to face the onslaught of weather and water. Of course, there are some exceptions to the rule, such as electronic GoPro poles that can’t be exposed to moisture or snow. However there are also some manual GoPro designs that don’t use the right materials, and thus rust or become brittle over time when exposed to too much moisture.
- Versatility – Another thing that makes a great GoPro pole is versatility. Because those who use GoPros often travel with just the packs on their backs, they won’t have a lot of space to keep a plethora of different camera mounts and accessories in tote. So a versatile GoPro pole that answers for the purpose and function of different camera mounts can make it a much more ideal travel companion.
Some GoPro poles can function as handles, extended arms, and tripods all together so users can have one handy tool in their arsenal that provides a number of different functions for their convenience. Then again, there are others that can be attached to standard tripod models and designs to turn them into stand-alone monopods. These can be a good choice for buyers who already have some camera mount accessories in their possession.
- Compatibility – Is your GoPro the only device you bring along with you to record your travels and experiences? If you answered no, then you should probably know how much of an inconvenience it can be to have a GoPro pole that can’t accommodate anything other than a GoPro. This means you may have to bring along other camera mounts for other devices you might want to use. And for anyone with limited baggage space, that can be a major hassle.
GoPro poles that are compatible with a number of different devices are often much easier to bring around. These poles are commonly designed to hold GoPros, smartphones, point-and-shoots, and even DSLRs, so you can have an all-around accessory that can accommodate all your devices.
- Features and Functions – It goes without saying that different GoPro pole models offer different combinations of functions and features. Some can be essential, and others can be nothing more than fancy bells and whistles used to draw in more buyers. When choosing the right GoPro pole for your needs, it might be necessary to look into your own personal preference to be able to pinpoint which features you find essential and which you can do without.
Some features that GoPro poles parade include removable mounting, hinged extendable arms, remote mounting, hidden compartments for accessories, threaded inserts for added accessories, and specially designed locking mechanisms. Before you make a purchase, be sure to look into each one of these features to find out whether or not you’ll find a purpose for them. This way, you can choose a pole that doesn’t only fit your need, but your budget as well.
- Collapsed and Extended Length – GoPro poles often compete with each other in terms of length. These accessories are made to extend users’ reach so they can capture more scenery without having to put themselves in precarious situations. Of course, the longer a GoPro pole can extend, the greater the area your camera will be able to cover.
When choosing the right pole for your needs, consider the length of the pole when fully extended. Some models can reach as far as 50 inches, and others are designed to reach only as far as 12. While neither is generally better, it’s always important to consider your own preferences when choosing as some buyers don’t really need something that extends that far.
Collapsed length is another thing worth considering. When your GoPro pole is fully collapsed, it becomes much easier to store or carry around. Of course, no traveler wants to have to hold on to their pole when it’s not necessary, so a shorter pole is always easier to keep in tote.
Some GoPro poles can collapse to as short as just 5 inches long. However there are others that are as long as 17 inches when fully collapsed, and this might make them a hassle to bring around, especially for backpack travelers.
- Cost – You’d be surprised at how greatly the cost of different poles can vary. More advanced, sophisticated models that use electronic technology can cost upwards of a hundred dollars. Sure, you get what you pay for, but if you’re not necessarily invested in using your GoPro, a hefty price tag on a pole might seem impractical and unreasonable.
However if you’re a blogger, a traveler, or a videographer, the price tags that come with electronic models may seem like they’re worth the expense. This is especially true if you record videos for a living, or create social media content as your main source of income. In these cases, an expensive pole would be more of an investment than a leisurely purchase.
If you’re working on a budget, there are lots of other choices on the market. Some of these poles won’t cost you any more than 20 dollars, so they’re always much better for buyers who don’t want to overstep what their wallets will allow. Although these choices don’t come with the same fancy bells and whistles that electronic poles do, they get the job done, and for any amateur, that can be more than enough.
- Customer Service – The last thing you should think of when buying a GoPro pole is customer service. Not all poles are made to perfection, so there are some units out there that might break sooner rather than later. As a buyer, you should know that there isn’t anything more frustrating than trying to reach out to a manufacturer for damages that you didn’t even cause.
Lots of the manufacturers that sell GoPro poles are highly responsive to consumer complaints, and act fast to process returns and replacements. Some even offer to send over free replacement parts and accessories so you can fully enjoy your pole.
To find out more about the reliability of a manufacturer, don’t hesitate to visit their website to learn more about the brand and their policy. You can also try reading up on different reviews to find out how they handled consumer complaints in the past. While the GoPro market has some relatively responsive and reliable customer care, there are still some pretty nasty manufacturers out there who will take advantage of anyone who doesn’t do their research.
GoPro poles offer a lot of benefits and use for those who truly enjoy the art of using action cameras. So whether you’re a blogger, a professional traveler, or simply a tourist hoping to make the most of each memory, a GoPro pole is something you should never be without.
There are lots of GoPro poles in the market, and that can make it tough to choose. But our comprehensive guide should help narrow down your options to lead you to a reliable choice that you can enjoy for many years to come.
Make sure to check out these top picks to land the best GoPro pole and find out just why these smart accessories have turned into essentials for countless travelers, bloggers, and action camera enthusiasts.